Fun Facts about EVs
- As soon as you push the accelerator, you have 100% of the engine potential at your foot. The Tesla Model 5 has been clocked going 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds, capturing the title of the quickest car on the market today.
- EVs are expected to experience a price drop in the coming years, though for now most are premium priced. Though, most are eligible for a federal tax credit at this point. Used models can be cheaper and still be in good condition.
- EVs are crash tested just like other cars. The Chevy Bolt was awarded 5 out of 5 stars for protection of its occupants.
- The Chevy Bolt can travel up to 238 miles on a full charge.
- There are about 20,000 charging stations around the U.S.. Level 2 chargers can fully charge a battery in 4 hours, but a DC Fast Charge charging station is said to replenish up to 80% in half an hour.
- The average EV can save a driver who drives 15,000 miles a year about $850 annually on fuel.
- Most EVs can go 3-4 miles on one kWh. MEC's EV currently costs approximately 2.8 cents per mile to operate. The typical gas car can cost a consumer upwards of 11 cents per mile to operate.
- A new company named Rivian is developing an EV pickup truck that is projected to travel up to 400 miles on one charge. Ford has invested half a billion dollars in this company.
- It is a myth that EV's cannot function in cold weather. The only downside is that cold weather can account for up to 40% reduction in range, depending on how much the heater is running.
- Electric school busses are becoming more popular, however they are still priced at 3 times the cost of a regular bus.
Copyright © 2019 Macon Electric Cooperative, Inc. All rights reserved.