MEC wishes you a safe and happy Fourth
The month of July has always been a favorite of mine. It’s the middle of summer, the kids are out of school and of course, we celebrate Independence Day! Typically on the Fourth, we celebrate our nation’s independence with grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, homemade ice cream and other sweet treats, and last but not least, fireworks. This is a time for fellowship with family and friends, but at Macon Electric Cooperative, we also want to make sure our members focus on safety.
To ensure you have the best Fourth of July possible, we would like to remind you about a few important safety tips from The American Red Cross.
Nothing says “Fourth of July” like a spectacular fireworks display! The safest way to enjoy this part of the celebration is to head to a local fireworks show. But, if you want to put on your own show at home, be sure to follow these safety tips:
- Always follow the instructions on fireworks’ packaging and never give fireworks to small children.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure to wear protective eyewear when lighting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
Cookouts are a great way to bring folks together on the Fourth. Whether you are grilling in your back yard or at a community park, make sure your feast includes a generous portion of fun and a side helping of safety! We recommend the following safety tips:
- Supervise your grill at all times.
- Use the proper tools for cooking on a grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when the coals have already been ignited.
- Always follow the manufacturers instructions when using grills.
Fireworks and cookouts wouldn’t be complete without a sunny day. Here’s hoping we have good weather, and if we do, make sure you are practicing sun safety:
- Use a broad spectrum SPF sunscreen and reapply often.
- Protect your eyes by wearing sunglasses.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Be on the lookout for signs of heat stroke (hot red skin; changes in consciousness; rapid, weak pulse; rapid, shallow breathing).
However you choose to celebrate, Macon Electric Cooperative wishes you a safe and Happy Fourth of July!